New USPS postage rates are coming, but this shouldn’t come as a surprise, especially to businesses working in the direct mail industry. Postal rates have been in a constant state of change since George Washington signed the Postal Service Act into law in 1792.
Changes Are Coming. Are You Ready?
As promised, the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) reviewed the proposed USPS postage rate adjustments on November 13, 2018, and they have all been approved. All rate changes will take effect on January 27, 2019.
2019 Rate Change Highlights
Polaris Direct customers will be most significantly affected by the following rate changes:
First-Class Mail Letter
Rates are increasing from 50 cents to 55 cents, for an increase of 10% — the most significant increase in First-Class stamps since 1991.
Marketing (Previously Standard) Mail
Marketing Mail will increase by ~2.5% overall. Below is a breakdown of the increase, per mail type.
- Letters 2.4%
- Flats 2.6%
- Carrier Route Letters, Flats, and Parcels 0.7%
- High Density / Saturation Letters 3.8%
- High Density / Saturation Flats and Parcels 3.6%
- Parcels 2.7%
- EDDM-Retail 5.1%
Some additional rate changes you should be aware of include:
- Priority Mail: Priority Mail rates will increase by 5.9%. Commercial Base rates will start at $6.95 (vs. $6.55 in 2018.)
- Priority Mail Express: Priority Mail Express rates will increase by 3.9%. Commercial Base (online) rates will start at $22.68 (vs. $21.98 in 2018.)
- First-Class Package Service: First-Class Package Service rates will increase by 11.9% and will move to zone-based pricing, allowing for more accurate shipping pricing and transparency. Commercial Base rates will start at $2.66.
- Parcel Select Ground: Shipping rates for Parcel Select Ground will decrease by 1.3%. Commercial Base rates will increase to $6.85 (vs. $6.55 in 2018.)
- Media Mail: Media Mail rates will see an increase of 2.95%, with rates starting at $2.75 (vs. $2.66 in 2018).
Request our 2019 USPS rate card for the full list of updated rates.
Ways to Save in 2019
Remember, USPS postage rates are still better than most competitor pricing for similar services. Looking for ways to save on postal rates in 2019? Polaris Direct has a couple of tips for you:
2019 Mailing Promotions
USPS mailing promotions are back, so take advantage of the savings they offer! The first promotion period starts February 1st and runs through July 31st, and is called the “Tactile, Sensory & Interactive Engagement” promotion. You can view the entire promotions calendar, here.
Partner with Polaris Direct
By partnering with a direct mail provider like Polaris Direct, you can minimize the effect of impending postal rate increases. We offer postal optimization through our partnership with Firebird Presort, to help our clients reduce mailing costs and combat annual postage rate increases. We also provide clients with a variety of mailing options, including commingling, drop shipment, and co-palletization, to name a few.
About the author: Lisa Leslie is a Copywriter for Polaris Direct, a nationally acclaimed high-volume direct marketing services company in Hooksett, NH. A skilled writer and creative thinker, Lisa works to uncover authentic and inspiring brand stories to create content that drives customer engagement. Throughout her professional career, she has filled a variety of roles, ranging from marketing administration and project management to digital marketing consulting and content development. In each role, Lisa has remained committed to helping brands tell their stories in ways that capture audiences and encourage customer loyalty. Her intuitive listening skills, broad experience, and talent for writing make her a unique and valuable asset to the Polaris Direct team.